Subject: Re: bug#12794: Bug in dd: it sends wrong messages to stderr

From: Pádraig Brady <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 01:22:00 +0000

On 11/05/2012 11:57 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Unfortunately Pádraig missed you in the recipient list when replying
> to Paul.  See Pádraig response with that item in this message logged
> here:
>
>    http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12794#13
>
> Generally we CC the original poster but for the rest of us we are all
> already subscribed and so we chop off the extra CCs so that we don't
> get too many copies.  But unfortunately a (mis)feature of the debbugs
> bug tracking software is that it doesn't automatically CC the bug
> submitter.  (I don't know if that is set up with debbugs.gnu.org but
> generally with the BTS the [email-masked] address
> would go to the bug submitter.  So it would be both 12794@ and
> 12794-submitter@ to get both.)

That is a misfeature.

Another that compounds it is when you send email from $from to
[email-masked], the corresponding email has this header:

Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked], $from

I guess that's so $bugnum is used in future rather than $bugnum-done,
but note how none of the original To: or Cc: are included.
So that would be another bug IMHO.

Thus when I "reply all" in thunderbird at least,
the response misses anyone on the To: or Cc:
The resoning behind the mail client behavior is:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Help_Documentation:Mail-Followup-To_and_Mail-Reply-To

cheers,
Pádraig.