Subject: Re: bug#12787: Toolbar regression from Emacs 23 to Emacs 24 -- Save As and Help no longer available

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 18:13:14 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> Thank you for pointing me to the link. That helps explain the change.
> I don't agree with the assertion that "Save As" is left off of most
> toolbars.

Could you name some applications that have it there by default?
If I start up eg "gedit" it is not there, and I see no way to add it
(I don't normally use gedit though). The gedit toolbar looks much the
same as Emacs 24's. I imagine this consistency with other applications
was the motivation for the changes.

The "help" button seems pointless to me. It just does exactly the same
as clicking the "help" menu, which is a few pixels away. I don't expect
a significant number of people to have tool-bar on and menu-bar off.
Every other tool-bar button in Emacs 23 is for an action that does not
correspond to simply selecting a top-level menu.

>  Even when it is, though, it is easy to add back on -- something that
> is not true with Emacs.

You could certainly argue that the Emacs toolbar should be easier to
customize. Drag'n'drop seems to be the friendly way. I think that is a
different bug report though.