Subject: bug#12785: [octave-mod] Changed behaviour of octave-mark-block?

From: Mark Hepburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 18:42:28 +1100

Hi all,

I'm wondering if the recent modernisation of octave-mod with emacs24 has
introduced an error; at least, it appears that the behaviour of
octave-mark-block is different.

For example, in the following trivial octave code:

for i=1:n, something; end;

If octave-mark-block is invoked with the cursor anywhere inside the
'for' token, it will fail ("unbalanced parentheses").  The following
situations all fail in the recent version, but succeed in the older
version: |for, f|or, fo|r.

Assuming this is in error I'm not sure how to fix it, I'm sorry.  The form
(and level (null (cadr level)))
seems a bit suspicious as there are no null entries in smie-grammar for
me, so that would be equivalent to just level.

It also looks like backward-up-list (-> up-list) might be incorrect for
similar cursor locations?  (Which may be the root cause I suppose)

Thank you for your time,
Mark.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.12)
 of 2012-09-23 on batsu, modified by Debian
Package: Emacs version 24.1.1

current state:
==============
(setq
 octave-blink-matching-block t
 octave-block-offset 2
 octave-comment-char 35
 octave-continuation-offset 4
 octave-continuation-string "\\"
 octave-send-echo-input t
 octave-send-line-auto-forward t
 octave-send-show-buffer t
 )