Subject: bug#12778: Failure when running check-root make target

From: Andrew Warshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 09:30:26 -0500

> > Is anyone else having our problem?
> > In particular, is it local to GNU make 3.82?
> 
> well, not the same, but ...
> 
>   make  check-TESTS
>   make[6]: Entering directory `/home/berny/coreutils/gnulib-tests'
>   make[7]: Entering directory `/home/berny/coreutils/gnulib-tests'
>   make[8]: Entering directory `/home/berny/coreutils/gnulib-tests'
>   make[8]: Nothing to be done for `tests/chown/basic.sh.log'.
>   make[8]: Nothing to be done for `tests/cp/cp-a-selinux.sh.log'.
>   make[8]: Nothing to be done for `tests/cp/preserve-gid.sh.log'.
>   ...
>   make[8]: Nothing to be done for
>   `tests/touch/now-owned-by-other.sh.log'. make[8]: Leaving directory
>   `/home/berny/coreutils/gnulib-tests' fatal: making test-suite.log:
>   failed to create tests/chown/basic.sh.trs fatal: making
>   test-suite.log: failed to create tests/chown/basic.sh.log fatal:
>   making test-suite.log: failed to create
>   tests/cp/cp-a-selinux.sh.trs ... fatal: making test-suite.log:
> failed to create tests/touch/now-owned-by-other.sh.log
>   make[7]: *** [test-suite.log] Error 1
>   make[7]: Leaving directory `/home/berny/coreutils/gnulib-tests'
>   make[6]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 2
> 
> This is on OpenSuSE 12.2 with GNU make 3.82.

I'd be curious to know what it's supposed to be doing. For example,
should "make check-root" be running any gnulib-tests at all? Those
should all get run by "make check" anyway, no?

Does "make NON_ROOT_USERNAME=nobody check-TESTS" run as root in the
gnulib-tests/ directory work for you?

       -Andrew Warshall