Subject: bug#12774: 24.2.50; EMACS 24.2.50.1 crashing‏

From: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 21:37:56 +0100

Here is some trace I can get with gdb

(gdb) info files

Local exec file:
	`C:\Programme\GNU\Emacs\bin\runemacs.exe', file type pei-i386.
	Entry point: 0x401284
	0x00401000 - 0x0040211c is .text
	0x00403000 - 0x00403010 is .data
	0x00404000 - 0x004042bc is .rdata
	0x00405000 - 0x004050e4 is .eh_frame
	0x00406000 - 0x00406078 is .bss
	0x00407000 - 0x00407574 is .idata
	0x00408000 - 0x00408018 is .CRT
	0x00409000 - 0x00409020 is .tls
	0x0040a000 - 0x004175f0 is .rsrc
	0x7c911000 - 0x7c98deda is .text in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
	0x7c98e000 - 0x7c991200 is .data in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
	0x7c993000 - 0x7c9c50d4 is .rsrc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
	0x7c9c6000 - 0x7c9c8ee0 is .reloc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
	0x7c801000 - 0x7c8841e9 is .text in C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll
	0x7c885000 - 0x7c887600 is .data in C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll
	0x7c88a000 - 0x7c8ffc48 is .rsrc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll
	0x7c900000 - 0x7c905c84 is .reloc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll
	0x64d01000 - 0x64d1e4ae is .text in C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\snxhk.dll
	0x64d1f000 - 0x64d264fc is .rdata in C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\snxhk.dll
	0x64d27000 - 0x64d2fe00 is .data in C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\snxhk.dll
	0x64d32000 - 0x64d36704 is .rsrc in C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\snxhk.dll
	0x64d37000 - 0x64d3b6a8 is .reloc in C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\snxhk.dll
	0x77be1000 - 0x77c2cd36 is .text in C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll
	0x77c2d000 - 0x77c31800 is .data in C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll
	0x77c34000 - 0x77c343e0 is .rsrc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll
	0x77c35000 - 0x77c37d74 is .reloc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll
	0x7e391000 - 0x7e3f0283 is .text in C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll
	0x7e3f1000 - 0x7e3f1c00 is .data in C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll
	0x7e3f3000 - 0x7e41d5e0 is .rsrc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll
	0x7e41e000 - 0x7e420de4 is .reloc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll
	0x77ef1000 - 0x77f33a6e is .text in C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll
	0x77f34000 - 0x77f35160 is .data in C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll
	0x77f36000 - 0x77f363d0 is .rsrc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll
	0x77f37000 - 0x77f38870 is .reloc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll
	0x76321000 - 0x76335a96 is .text in C:\WINDOWS\system32\imm32.dll
	0x76336000 - 0x76336200 is .data in C:\WINDOWS\system32\imm32.dll
	0x76337000 - 0x7633bc18 is .rsrc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\imm32.dll
	0x7633c000 - 0x7633cc6c is .reloc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\imm32.dll
	0x77da1000 - 0x77e155c9 is .text in C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll
	0x77e16000 - 0x77e18c00 is .data in C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll
	0x77e1b000 - 0x77e4621c is .rsrc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll
	0x77e47000 - 0x77e4baf8 is .reloc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll
	0x77e51000 - 0x77ed4cd3 is .text in C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll
	0x77ed5000 - 0x77edb93c is .orpc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll
	0x77edc000 - 0x77edcc00 is .data in C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll
	0x77edd000 - 0x77edd408 is .rsrc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll
	0x77ede000 - 0x77ee2558 is .reloc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll
	0x77fc1000 - 0x77fcd284 is .text in C:\WINDOWS\system32\secur32.dll
	0x77fce000 - 0x77fce480 is .data in C:\WINDOWS\system32\secur32.dll
	0x77fcf000 - 0x77fcf418 is .rsrc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\secur32.dll
	0x77fd0000 - 0x77fd0888 is .reloc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\secur32.dll
	0x77f41000 - 0x77facba8 is .text in C:\WINDOWS\system32\shlwapi.dll
	0x77fad000 - 0x77fadc00 is .data in C:\WINDOWS\system32\shlwapi.dll
	0x77fae000 - 0x77faf6c8 is .rsrc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\shlwapi.dll
	0x77fb0000 - 0x77fb59d4 is .reloc in C:\WINDOWS\system32\shlwapi.dll
	0x77391000 - 0x77421a8a is .text in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.6028_x-ww_61e65202\comctl32.dll
	0x77422000 - 0x77422600 is .data in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.6028_x-ww_61e65202\comctl32.dll
	0x77423000 - 0x7748cfb0 is .rsrc in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.6028_x-ww_61e65202\comctl32.dll
	0x7748d000 - 0x77492e2c is .reloc in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.6028_x-ww_61e65202\comctl32.dll

> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 16:57:22 +0200
> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: bug#12774: 24.2.50; EMACS 24.2.50.1 crashing‏
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> 
> > From: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]> 
> > Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 06:23:10 +0100
> > 
> > What I do to get the crash is the following
> > 
> > 1) start emacs from MSWindows system programme menu
> > 2) `C-x d' 
> > 4) then go to directory `C:/Programme/GNU/installation'
> > 5) then navigate with Dired mode `i' command to subdirectory
> >    cedet-install/cedet
> > 6) then go down to file USING_CEDET_FROM_BZR
> > 7) then type RET to visit the file
> 
> I tried the equivalent of these commands (with different directory
> names above 'cedet'), but couldn't get Emacs to crash.
> 
> > I have not yet started to dichotomize my init file to find what cause
> > the crash, since the crash does not happen always that will be lengthy
> > before I can zoom to what is to blame.
> 
> Well, please try.
> 
> > I tried to gdb the crash. I compiled with MSYS gdb 7.5 and did the
> > following (I could not get the bracktrace...), below when I type `help
> > where' the crash already happened :
> > 
> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > gdb -exec=c:/Programme/GNU/Emacs/bin/runemacs.exe
> > GNU gdb (GDB) 7.5
> > Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> > This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
> > There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
> > and "show warranty" for details.
> > This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-mingw32".
> > For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> > <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
> > (gdb) run
> > Starting program: c:\Programme\GNU\Emacs\bin\runemacs.exe 
> > [New Thread 5708.0x17d8]
> > [Inferior 1 (process 5708) exited normally]
> > (gdb) warning: Can not parse XML library list; XML support was disabled at compile time
> 
> Your GDB build is non-functional.  Could you try downloading a
> precompiled binary from the MinGW site?