Subject: Can't connect to NNTP server

From: Anssi Saari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 13:06:03 +0200

It was asked in the Finnish language Emacs group that why can't Gnus
connect to server news.saunalahti.fi since Fedora 17 and Emacs
24.1. Gnus just comes back with the message "nntp (news.saunalahti.fi)
open error: 'Error when connecting: 200 Elisa USENET News Server
(Typhoon v2.2.2.503)^M'.  Continue? (y or n)"

I debugged this a little and it turns out the connection fails somehow
with the attempted TLS autodetect. If the server is configured to do
plain NNTP then things are fine. So this kind of setup works:

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "news.saunalahti.fi"
             (nntp-open-connection-function network-only)
             (nntp-address "news.saunalahti.fi")))

I don't understand enough elisp to figure out how things go wrong with
the TLS autodetect but they do. Hence this bug report. This was
originally found with the Gnus 5.13 that ships with Emacs 24.1, same
thing also with Gnus from Git. No problem with older Emacs and Gnus, I
tried Gnus 5.13 from Emacs 23.3 with Emacs 24.1 and that didn't have
this problem. Notably also in win32 Gnus didn't have this problem.

Gnus v5.13
GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
 of 2012-10-26 on crap
200 Elisa USENET News Server (Typhoon v2.2.2.503)