Subject: bug#12743: 24.2.50; run-python hangs

From: Left Right <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 17:47:17 +0200

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgment at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

Immediately after starting Emacs with `emacs -Q` I ran
M-x run-python
This enters an infinite loop. I can interrupt the infinite loop with
C-g. After loop was interrupted, I looked into *Messages* buffer.
This is its contents:

Sent python-shell-completion-setup-code
Sent python-ffap-setup-code
Sent python-eldoc-setup-code
Error during redisplay: (jit-lock-function 1) signaled (quit)

After the fucntion was interrupted, the *Python* buffer appeared.
The modeline in the buffer spells: (Inferior Python:run
Shell-Compile)
I'm not sure if that is how it should be. I experience similar issues
with JavaScript-2 mode when using commint buffer to M-x run-js
Some times Emacs would lock up and after interruping it with C-g it
would print a message connected to a problem with displaying a face.
Sorry, I can't provide more info at the moment, but if that is
related, will find a way to do it.

Best.

Oleg

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.2.50/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.11)
 of 2012-10-14 on wvxvw-desktop
Bzr revision: 110539 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11203000
System Description:	Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r u n - p y t h <tab> <return> C-x o C-x b <return>
M-x r e p o r t - b <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Sent python-shell-completion-setup-code
Sent python-ffap-setup-code
Sent python-eldoc-setup-code
Error during redisplay: (jit-lock-function 1) signaled (quit)

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils compile python rx easymenu comint ring ansi-color
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)