Subject: bug#12740: 24.2.50; ERC fix broke modules after require

From: Antoine Levitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:52:40 +0200

10/26/2012 17:21, Stefan Monnier
>> emacs -Q
>> (require 'erc)
>> (setq erc-modules '(truncate))
>> (erc-update-modules)
>> (erc :server "irc.freenode.net")
>> This worked fine before
>
> I don't know what "worked" means precisely, but I tried your above
> recipe and "it worked" in the sense that it did something which didn't
> look like an error.

Sorry if this bug report is confused. I've tried to reduce the original
bug (which has weird effects on my configuration) to a simple test
case. The bug, which I had not described and you could not guess, was
that lines were filled. My bad. Please discard my original bug report
and consider the following:

(require 'erc)
(setq erc-modules '())
(erc-update-modules)

used to disable buffer filling (try it on a large window). It did so
before your commits, not after.

You might argue that this is the intended behaviour, because
erc-update-modules says that it only enables modules, not disable them
(in which case, to disable modules, is one supposed to set erc-modules
before requiring erc ? I liked the old way better).

I also attach a more involved example of a bug that appeared with your
commits, and has nothing to do with erc-modules (I think). I was hoping
the fix for the simpler issue would also fix the more involved one,
which is why I didn't report it in the first place, but here it is
anywyay. The code is supposed to colour the nicks of people (here, all
in yellow). The bug results from an interaction with
erc-hide-timestamps, which didn't occur before your commits.

Sorry again.