Subject: Re: 24.2.50; Disabling menu bar doesn't resize frame correctly --with-x-toolkit=motif

From: Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:53:02 +0100

>>>>> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

> With Emacs from BZR (revision 110662) linked against the Motif toolkit
> (version 2.3.4), I observe that after disabling the menu bar, the
> frame doesn't have the correct height. The result is that the modeline
> and the minibuffer are no longer visible.

> Steps to reproduce:

>    $ emacs -Q

>    ;; Lisp Interaction Mode:
>    (frame-pixel-height)
>    608

In fact, there's already an inconsistency here. The documentation of
frame-pixel-height says:

   With the Motif or Lucid toolkits, it also includes the tool bar
   (but not the menu bar).

However, if I measure the height on my screen, it is 608 pixels in
total, i.e. including _both_ the tool bar and the menu bar. (I see the
same inconsistency if configured --with-x-toolkit=lucid, BTW.)

Is it an error in the code or in the documentation?

>    (frame-height)
>    38
>    (menu-bar-mode -1)
>    nil
>    ;; At this point, the X window shrinks by the height of the menu bar.
>    ;; However, the bottom of the frame contents (containing modeline and
>    ;; minibuffer) are no longer visible.

>    (frame-pixel-height)
>    608

This value is definitely wrong. Measured height is only 572 pixels.

>    ;; Number of lines is _larger_ than before:
>    (frame-height)
>    40