Subject: bug#12733: closed (Re: bug#12733: 24.2.50; Disabling menu bar doesn't resize frame correctly --with-x-toolkit=motif)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 17:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#12733: 24.2.50; Disabling menu bar doesn't resize frame correctly --with-x-toolkit=motif

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12733: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12733
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#12733: 24.2.50; Disabling menu bar doesn't resize frame correctly --with-x-toolkit=motif
From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
To: Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]>
Cc: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 18:26:09 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello.

1 nov 2012 kl. 10:12 skrev Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]>:

>>>>>> On Thu, 1 Nov 2012, Jan Djärv wrote:
> 
>> There is no calling the display engine in this case, there is just
>> setting the frame garbaged and adjusting the frame size.
> 
>> Given the fact that I can't reproduce it suggests it is working for
>> some cases at least. But the exact environment of the reporter is
>> not known, we don't know which window manager he uses. So we
>> probably can't reproduce this util we know that.
> 
> Window manager here is xfwm4 version 4.10.0.

It is reproducible with that WM.  My guess is that Xt filters out the ConfigureNotify from xfwm4 because of a bad timestamp or serial.

I have checked in a fix in the trunk.

	Jan D.

Subject: 24.2.50; Disabling menu bar doesn't resize frame correctly --with-x-toolkit=motif
From: Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 17:16:05 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With Emacs from BZR (revision 110662) linked against the Motif toolkit
(version 2.3.4), I observe that after disabling the menu bar, the
frame doesn't have the correct height. The result is that the modeline
and the minibuffer are no longer visible.

Steps to reproduce:

   $ emacs -Q

   ;; Lisp Interaction Mode:
   (frame-pixel-height)
   608
   (frame-height)
   38
   (menu-bar-mode -1)
   nil
   ;; At this point, the X window shrinks by the height of the menu bar.
   ;; However, the bottom of the frame contents (containing modeline and
   ;; minibuffer) are no longer visible.

   (frame-pixel-height)
   608
   ;; Number of lines is _larger_ than before:
   (frame-height)
   40

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.3.4)
 of 2012-10-25 on juno
Bzr revision: [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11300000
System Description:	Gentoo Base System release 2.2

Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
 '--host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
 '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--libdir=/usr/lib64'
 '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--program-suffix=-emacs-24-vcs'
 '--program-transform-name=s/emacs-[0-9].*/emacs-24-vcs/'
 '--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24-vcs'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.3/../../../../lib64'
 '--with-gameuser=games' '--without-compress-info' '--without-hesiod'
 '--without-kerberos' '--without-kerberos5' '--with-gpm' '--with-dbus'
 '--without-gnutls' '--without-xml2' '--without-selinux'
 '--without-wide-int' '--with-sound' '--with-x' '--without-ns'
 '--without-gconf' '--without-gsettings' '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff'
 '--with-xpm' '--with-imagemagick' '--with-xft' '--without-libotf'
 '--without-m17n-flt' '--with-x-toolkit=motif'
 'GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-vcs-24.2.9999' 'EBZR_BRANCH=trunk'
 'EBZR_REVNO=110662' 'build_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
 'host_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-march=core2 -ggdb -O2 -pipe
 -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''