Subject: bug#12716: 23.1.50; "Error in process filter" when ls'ing w/ ansi-term

From: "Patrick O'Neill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 19:19:44 -0400

To: [email-masked]
Subject: 23.1.50; "Error in process filter when ls'ing w/ ansi-term"
From: poneill <[email-masked]>
--text follows this line--

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing
list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

When typing 'ls' in ansi-term, output is garbled and I receive the
following error message in the minibuffer:

"Error in process filter: /home/ponei [sic] No such directory"

NB: "/home/ponei" is a truncation of the full directory name, which is
"/home/poneill".  I assume this is significant.  This appears to be the
same bug as the author of the following post encountered:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6232454/ansi-term-multi-term-error-in-process-filter

Thanks for all of your work,
Patrick.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.0)
 of 2009-09-27 on palmer, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20090909-1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11001000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--host'
'i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
'--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
'--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu'
'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000
-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  csv-field-index-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
0 ] <return> M-p . g e n o t y p e <return> C-x o C-x
C-f c h r o <return> C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-x o C-x
o C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-x
o C-p C-e C-M-b C-M-f C-x o C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-x o M-> M-p . v i s u a l <M-backspace> <M-backspace>
v i M-/ ( ) <return> <help-echo> M-p <return> C-x o
C-x o C-p C-n C-x o C-x b g a <return> M-> C-x o C-x
k <return> y e s <return> C-x b e s t <return> M->
C-x b a n s <return> c d SPC . . / e s t r e <tab>
<return> p s SPC a u x SPC | S-SPC r g e SPC <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> g r e p SPC e s
t r e m o <return> l s <return> l s <return> C-x 1
l s <return> C-x 3 c l e a r <return> l s <return>
C-x 1 l s <return> c l e a r <return> l s <return>
c l e a r <return> C-x 3 l s <return> l s <return>
l s <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> C-x 1 l s <return>
l s <return> l s <return> l s <return> l s <return>
M-x C-x b <return> M-x C-x b p <return> M-x r e o <backspace>
p o r t SPC e m a c s SPC b u g <return>

Recent messages:
error in process filter: cd-absolute: /home/ponei/: no such directory
error in process filter: /home/ponei/: no such directory
error in process filter: cd-absolute: /home/ponei/: no such directory
error in process filter: /home/ponei/: no such directory
error in process filter: cd-absolute: /home/ponei/: no such directory
error in process filter: /home/ponei/: no such directory
error in process filter: cd-absolute: /home/ponei/: no such directory
error in process filter: /home/ponei/: no such directory
error in process filter: cd-absolute: /home/ponei/: no such directory
error in process filter: /home/ponei/: no such directory

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/context hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/latex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/latex
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/context-en hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-en
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fptex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fptex
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/tex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/inf-haskell hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/inf-haskell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-decl-scan hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-decl-scan
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-ghci hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-ghci
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-c hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-c
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-indentation hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-indentation
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-site-file hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-site-file
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-font-lock hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-font-lock
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-simple-indent hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-simple-indent
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-cabal hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-cabal
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-indent hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-indent
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-doc hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-doc
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-hugs hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-hugs
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup