Subject: 24.2.50; PNG and XPM files cannot be displayed as graphics

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 01:02:59 +0200

Hello!

At revno: 110618 I open etc/images in dired mode and type v when with the text cursor on the splash.* files. The PBM and SVG files without problem while the PNG and XPM variants open in text mode. Switching to graphics mode with C-c C-c leads to errors:

	Cannot display image: (Invalid image type `png')
	Cannot display image: (Invalid image type `xpm')

The variable imagemagick-enabled-types contains PNG PNG24 PNG32 PNG8 and XPM, imagemagick-types-inhibit is "(C HTML HTM INFO M TXT PDF)". ImageMagick's display programme can display all four splash files, identify describes:

	etc/images/splash.png PNG 275x188 275x188+0+0 8-bit sRGB 37.5KB 0.000u 0:00.000
	etc/images/splash.xpm XPM 270x217 270x217+0+0 16-bit sRGB 60.5KB 0.000u 0:00.009

Building GNU Emacs without wide ints and building as a 64-bit programme leads to the same.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin10.8.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2012-10-22 on Sumac.local
Bzr revision: 110618 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11300000
Configured using:
 `configure '--build=x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0'
 '--host=i386-apple-darwin10.8.0' '--target=i386-apple-darwin10.8.0'
 '--with-wide-int' '--without-pop' '--without-sound' '--without-gpm'
 '--without-dbus' '--without-selinux' '--with-x-toolkit=athena'
 '--disable-ns-self-contained' '--without-xpm' '--without-jpeg'
 '--without-tiff' '--without-gif' '--without-png'
 '--x-libraries=/usr/X11/lib' '--x-includes=/usr/X11/include'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/calendar24:/Library/Application Support/Emacs' 'CFLAGS=-g
 -H -pipe -fPIC -fno-common -Os -march=core2 -mtune=core2 -m32
 -fomit-frame-pointer -msse4.2' 'LDFLAGS=-m32 -Wl,-dead_strip_dylibs
 -Wl,-bind_at_load -Wl,-t' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/include' 'CC=clang'
 'CXX=clang++'
 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/xft2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig'
 'build_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0'
 'host_alias=i386-apple-darwin10.8.0'
 'target_alias=i386-apple-darwin10.8.0''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: (only . t)

Recent input:
<help-echo> C-x d e t c / i m a g e s <return> <end> 
<escape> > <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> v C-x 
k <return> <down> v C-c C-c C-x k <return> <down> v 
C-x k <return> <down> v C-c C-c C-x k <return> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x b * M e s s <tab> <return> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> <double-mouse-1> 
<triple-down-mouse-1> <triple-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> <double-mouse-1> <triple-down-mouse-1> 
<triple-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-h v i m 
a g e m a g <tab> e n a <tab> <return> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<double-drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> 
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Type C-c C-c to view the image as text.
Not using View mode because the major mode is special
Loading cc-langs...done
Type C-c C-c to view the image as an image.
Cannot display image: (Invalid image type `xpm')
View mode: type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.
Type C-c C-c to view the image as an image.
Cannot display image: (Invalid image type `xpm')
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.

--
Greetings

  Pete

If it should exist, it doesn't. 
				– Arnold's First Law of Documentation