Subject: Re: bug#12704: 24.2.50; QuitError during redisplay: (eval (\` ((-3 (\, (propertize "%p" ...

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 19:10:10 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 09:00:03 -0700
> 
> (Not with emacs -Q, but with my setup.)
>  
> Dunno whether this helps, but I noticed this message in *Messages*,
> apparently from mode-line display.

Can you try guessing which part of the expression could have barfed?

> Why is such a message written to
> *Messages* just because (seemingly) a user hits C-g during redisplay?

When some Lisp expression eval'ed by the display engine signals an
error, that error is caught and the message is written to *Messages*.
That's because redisplay cannot possibly let the message appear in the
echo area, as this will cause another redisplay, which will again
signal an error, and so on, ad nauseam.

So the problem here is that an error was signaled during evaluation of
a Lisp expression.  Are you sure that the cause was C-g?  The fact
that you see "Quit" does not yet prove it was a C-g that caused that.

> Is there an option that controls whether to print such messages?

Print where?