Subject: bug#12702: 24.2; Orgmode Refile complains "Not bookmark format"

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 13:57:34 -0400

>>> The error message makes sense ... as soon as you know where the problem
>>> comes from :)
>> Also, while it's good to signal to the user that his bookmark file is
>> corrupted (and to make sure we don't overwrite it with something else),
>> I don't see why that should prevent Org's Refile from working.
> By default, org-refile and org-capture store bookmarks to the last
> refiled/captured Org headline.  (There is org-capture-bookmark in
> case users want to deactivate this for captured headlines.)
> We could skip this step in Org in case the bookmark format is
> corrupted, or have a more informative message that makes clear to 
> the user that Org tries to store a bookmark.

I don't know the details of what happens currently when the bookmark file is
corrupted but at least such an occurrence shouldn't prevent org-refile
from working (tho obviously in a degraded way).

IOW, if needed we could wrap the calls to bookmark-set in
with-demoted-errors, but maybe those errors are signaled late enough
already that while the command signals an error, it did do what it was
expected to do.

        Stefan