Subject: bug#12700: 24.1; ehelp buffers inconsistent

From: Uday S Reddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 11:23:49 +0100

Run 'emacs -Q' and then execute

   (require 'ehelp)
   (define-key global-map "\C-h" 'ehelp-command)

Then get help on something, say C-h v enable-multibyte-characters.

If you click on any of the hyperlinks on the resulting help page, Emacs24
says that the buffer is not in help-mode.

   Error: Current buffer is not in Help mode

However, the buffer is in help-mode.  Doing C-h m shows this:

Enabled minor modes: Auto-Composition Auto-Compression Auto-Encryption
Blink-Cursor File-Name-Shadow Font-Lock Global-Font-Lock Line-Number
Menu-Bar Mouse-Wheel Savehist Show-Paren Transient-Mark Which-Function

(Information about these minor modes follows the major mode info.)

Help mode defined in `help-mode.el':
Major mode for viewing help text and navigating references in it.
Entry to this mode runs the normal hook `help-mode-hook'.
Commands:
key             binding
---             -------

C-c		Prefix Command
TAB		forward-button
RET		help-follow
ESC		Prefix Command
SPC		scroll-up-command
-		negative-argument
0 .. 9		digit-argument
<		beginning-of-buffer
>		end-of-buffer
?		describe-mode
g		revert-buffer
h		describe-mode
q		quit-window
z		kill-this-buffer
DEL		scroll-down-command
<backtab>	backward-button
<mouse-2>	help-follow-mouse
<remap>		Prefix Command

C-c C-b		help-go-back
C-c C-c		help-follow-symbol
C-c C-f		help-go-forward

M-TAB		backward-button

Cheers,
Uday

--------------

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-06-10 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> C-x C-f <up> <up> <return> <f1> C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-v C-h v e n a b l e - m u t SPC SPC <backspace> 
l SPC SPC <return> <help-echo> <down-mouse-2> <mouse-2> 
<help-echo> r C-h m <f1> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> M-x n e w - f r a SPC C-g <next> <next> <next> 
<next> <next> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> 
<prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> 
<prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> M-x r e p o r t - e m a SPC SPC <return>

Recent messages:
udrimap: 3508 messages, 0 new, 558 unread, 1 deleted
Describe-Variable...
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Error: Current buffer is not in Help mode
Describe-Mode...

udrimap: 1 message to stuff
udrimap: Stuffing 100% complete...
Quit
scroll-down-command: Beginning of buffer [11 times]

Load-path shadows:
d:/Home/udr/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.86/tex-site hides d:/gnu/emacs-24.1/../site-lisp/tex-site
d:/Home/udr/share/emacs/sml-mode hides d:/gnu/emacs-24.1/../site-lisp/sml-mode
d:/Home/udr/share/emacs/savehist-20+ hides d:/gnu/emacs-24.1/../site-lisp/savehist-20+
d:/gnu/emacs-24.1/../site-lisp/longlines hides d:/gnu/emacs-24.1/lisp/longlines
d:/gnu/emacs-24.1/../site-lisp/electric hides d:/gnu/emacs-24.1/lisp/electric

Features:
(shadow mailalias emacsbug message format-spec mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode gmm-utils mailheader pp help-mode view vm-delete utf-7
network-stream starttls tls bbdb-hooks mail-parse rfc2231 vm-save tapestry
vm-sort u-vm-color my-vm vc-bzr etags vm-ps-print vm-rfaddons vm-undo
vm-page vm-message vm-macro bbdb-vm vm-autoload bbdb-snarf mail-extr rfc822
bbdb-com mailabbrev vm haskell-doc haskell-indentation haskell-font-lock
haskell-mode outline-magic noutline outline auctex-autoloads info easymenu
yasnippet-autoloads package tabulated-list w3m-load bbdb-autoloads bbdb
vm-reply vm-virtual vm-summary-faces vm-pop utf7 vm-imap vm-thread vm-mime
vm-motion vm-mouse vm-toolbar vm-menu vm-window vm-crypto vm-summary
vm-folder vm-minibuf vm-misc timezone vm-pcrisis vm-autoloads vm-version
vm-vars myautopair autopair warnings savehist ange-ftp comint ansi-color
ring session tex-site auto-loads movement natural-space NatSpeak sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv macroexp assoc gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache epa-file epa epg epg-config regexp-opt paren echistory
chistory ehelp electric easy-mmode cl derived which-func imenu advice
help-fns advice-preload edmacro kmacro time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar
dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)