Subject: bug#12697: closed (Re: Emacs crashes when using it as the commit editor for git)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 17:32:03 +0000

Your bug report

#12697: 24.2; Emacs crashes when using it as the commit editor for git

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12697: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12697
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: Emacs crashes when using it as the commit editor for git
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:28:59 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I installed the patch into the trunk as bzr 110750
and am marking this as done.

Subject: 24.2; Emacs crashes when using it as the commit editor for git
From: Matthew Leach <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 21:17:50 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I use Emacs as the editor for commit messages in git, by way of
setting the EDITOR environment variable, i.e. "export EDITOR='emacs -nw
'" in my .bashrc, if I press C-g when Emacs opens this causes Emacs to
crash and not shut down correctly as the console is not reset properly
and text from the buffer remains on the screen when I am returned to a
terminal prompt.

I am using git version 1.7.12.4

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.4)
 of 2012-08-28 on shaun
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11300000
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-xft'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> 
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message idna format-spec
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail regexp-opt rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils edmacro kmacro
tango-dark-theme paren ido time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)