Subject: bug#12693: 24.2.50; src/w32font.c should depend on ANSI code page

From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 19:52:30 +0800

Kazuhiro Ito <[email-masked]> writes:

> When I run Emacs on Cygwin with the native Windows UI, I can't specify
> font by non-ascii font name.  For example, the below code success on
> precompiled binary on Windows (Japanese edition) but raises error on
> Cygwin with the native Windows UI.
>
> (set-default-font "ＭＳ ゴシック-14")
>
> The reason is that lfFaceName member of LOGFONT structure is expected
> to be encoded in ANSI code page, but Emacs encodes in or decodes as
> the coding system specified in locale-coding-system variable.  It is
> set to utf-8-unix on Cygwin and causes the above problem.

This is a problem with the Cygwin build's initialisation of
locale-coding-system. It is supposed to be set to the coding system that
system calls will accept, which on Windows cannot be utf-8 (maybe on
recent versions it can be, but when I tried on Windows XP, it caused all
manner of problems).