Subject: bug#12686: PATCH: ambiguous help doc strings

From: "Aaron S. Hawley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:19:35 -0500

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Stefan Monnier
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> But I would argue for including the simple change I suggested in your patch:
>> move the fn-or-var clause in `help-make-xrefs' to the top of the cond, so the
>> xref link takes you to doc for both when available.
>
> As I explained, I think this is an incorrect change: "If the docstring
> explicitly refers to the function, I see no reason why Emacs should show
> both the function and the var".
>
>
>         Stefan

Nobody has moved on making the documentation system improvement Stefan
suggested for minor modes that was made as an addendum(?) to this bug
report.  I wish to emphasize that the doc fixes I submitted in the
patch 3 months ago didn't deal with references to symbols for minor
modes.  I purposefully avoided that problem.  The changes in the patch
are only to symbols that have both function and variable definitions
-- none are symbols for minor modes.  These fixes are needed
regardless if there is an enhancement to minor mode documentation as
Stefan suggests.

I have updated the patch against trunk and corrected some whitespace
problems that were introduced in the original.  It is attached.

Aaron