Subject: RE: bug#12686: PATCH: ambiguous help doc strings

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 11:29:57 -0700

> What I meant is that for minor-modes we shouldn't show the 
> help for the function plus the help for the variable but a
> single help for the minor-mode which describes both as a
> single entity.

Why?  What's the difference?  IOW, just what do you mean by "as a single
entity"?

Anyway, sounds OK to me.  But if this is not done right away, why not at least
do as I suggested in the meantime: move the var-or-fn clause first, so that if a
symbol is both it gets treated as both.

And that would seem to be appropriate anyway, even if you also do as you
suggest, to accommodate other symbols that do not correspond to a minor-mode but
which have both var and fun definitions.  IOW, minor modes are not the only case
to consider, even if they are an important case.

I would like to see all doc for a symbol, which could have definitions as a
face, a var, a function, and perhaps even a group (anything else?).  The cond
clauses should be ordered accordingly, rather than favoring some kinds of thingy
to the exclusion of others.