Subject: bug#12685: 24.2; lexical binding breaks edebug conditional breakpoints

From: Toby Cubitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 20:39:50 +0200

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 02:27:45PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I was asking if you knew of a good place to hook into (just in my own
> > private Emacs config), so that I don't have to do this manually every
> > time I want to run edebug?
> 
> You might try to add an around-advice on edebug-eval-defun (and maybe
> edebug-eval-top-level-form if you use it).

Thanks! I should have thought of that, but for some reason I didn't
consider using advice (probably a habit formed by avoiding advice in
packages).

> > I'm well aware that this means whatever behaviour I see under edebug
> > could be different from the real behaviour.  Given how rarely
> > dynamical-binding differs from lexical-binding in practice, it's still a
> > useful work-around for me, until edebug is fixed.
> 
> You're not addicted to closures like I am, I guess,

Not yet :) Closures are very elegant. But I only recently started
converting my Elisp code to lexical binding, so almost all of it works
just fine under dynamic binding for now.

Now if the byte-compiler learned how to do tail-call elimination, I might
find myself writing more of my Elisp in a pure functional style...

Just sayin' ;-)

Toby
-- 
Dr T. S. Cubitt
Mathematics and Quantum Information group
Department of Mathematics
Complutense University
Madrid, Spain

email: [email-masked]
web:   www.dr-qubit.org