Subject: Re: bug#12684: 24.1; Emacs crashing on OSX 10.6.8, perhaps related to org-mode

From: Ole Myren Røhne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 13:57:02 +0200

Thanks! - I'm now using 24.2.1, which doesn't crash but spins the beach ball on me, apparently hanging. Not sure how to get backtrace from forced exit...

Ole

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2012-08-27 on bob.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
Configured using:
 `configure '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin'
 '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin'
 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x b u g <tab> <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> r e p <tab> o <tab> <tab> r <tab> <ret
urn>

Recent messages:
Loading /Users/mrohne/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-loaddefs.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list... [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
~/Documents/Projects/2011-07-14-ob-maxima/ob-maxima hides ~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-maxima
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-xoxo hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-xoxo
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-wl hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-wl
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-w3m hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-w3m
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-vm hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-vm
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-timer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-timer
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-taskjuggler hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-taskjuggler
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-table hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-table
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-src hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-src
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-special-blocks hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-special-blocks
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-rmail hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-rmail
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-remember hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-remember
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-publish hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-publish
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-protocol hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-protocol
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-plot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-plot
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-pcomplete hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-odt hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-odt
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-mouse hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mouse
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-mobile hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mobile
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-mks hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mks
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-mhe hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mhe
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-mew hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mew
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-macs hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-macs
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-mac-message hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mac-message
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-lparse hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-lparse
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-list hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-list
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-latex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-latex
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-jsinfo hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-jsinfo
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-irc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-irc
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-install hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-install
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-inlinetask hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-info hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-info
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-indent hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-indent
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-id hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-id
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-icalendar hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-icalendar
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-html hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-html
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-habit hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-habit
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-gnus hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-gnus
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-freemind hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-freemind
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-footnote hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-footnote
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-feed hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-feed
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-faces hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-faces
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-exp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-exp
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-eshell hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-eshell
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-entities hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-entities
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-docview hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-docview
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-docbook hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-docbook
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-datetree hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-datetree
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-ctags hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-ctags
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-crypt hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-crypt
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-compat hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-compat
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-colview hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-colview
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-clock hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-clock
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-capture hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-capture
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-bibtex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bibtex
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-beamer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-beamer
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-bbdb hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bbdb
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-attach hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-attach
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-ascii hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-ascii
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-archive hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-archive
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/org-agenda hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-agenda
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-tangle hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-tangle
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-table hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-table
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-sqlite hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-sql hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sql
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-shen hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-shen
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-sh hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sh
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-screen hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-screen
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-scheme hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-scheme
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-sass hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sass
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-ruby hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ruby
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-ref hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ref
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-R hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-R
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-python hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-python
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-plantuml hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-picolisp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-perl hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-perl
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-org
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-octave hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-octave
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-ocaml hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-mscgen hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
~/Documents/Projects/2011-07-14-ob-maxima/ob-maxima hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-maxima
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-matlab hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-matlab
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-lob hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lob
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-lisp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lisp
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-lilypond hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-ledger hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ledger
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-latex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-latex
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-keys hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-keys
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-js hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-js
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-java hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-java
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-haskell hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-haskell
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-gnuplot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-fortran hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-fortran
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-exp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-exp
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-eval hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-eval
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-emacs-lisp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-dot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-dot
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-ditaa hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-css hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-css
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-comint hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-comint
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-clojure hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-clojure
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-calc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-calc
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-C hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-C
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-awk hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-awk
~/.emacs.d/org/lisp/ob-asymptote hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-asymptote

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils help-mode view server anything-ipython ipython python-mode
info-look info py-shell-complete cc-cmds cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
executable shell compile ispell tex-site ob-lisp ob-maxima cl maxima
derived edmacro kmacro maxima-font-lock org-exp-bibtex org-exp ob-exp
org-mac-iCal org-mac-link-grabber org-mac-message org-mobile org-agenda
org-archive org byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys
org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
org-compat org-macs ob-eval org-loaddefs format-spec find-func
regexp-opt cal-menu easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs advice help-fns
advice-preload slime-autoloads time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty
emacs)

On 2012-10-19, at 20:20 , Glenn Morris wrote:

> Ole Myren Røhne wrote:
> 
>> In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
>> of 2012-06-10 on bob.porkrind.org
> 
> If I interpret this correctly, looks like you are using a pre-built
> binary from http://emacsformacosx.com/.
> 
> Please try updating to their 24.2 and see if that helps.
> If not, please try their latest nightly and see if that helps.