Subject: bug#12682: 24.2.50; make server-execute less noisy

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:33:43 +0200

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Christopher Schmidt
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> There are other, useful messages in server-execute.  A more
> sophisticated advice is not trivial any more.

Not very hard, anyway.

> server-execute is an
> internal, undocumented function.  The message may be subject to change,
> the form might be refactored to another function in future versions.  I
> would like to have a permanent solution.

Fair enough.

> There are many superfluous messages floating around, making my
> *Messages*-buffer a pain to look at and my minibuffer a constant source
> of distraction.  I will not create feature requests for all these
> messages.  Right now, to me, it is just about this one and the one I
> reported in bug 12370 because IMO these two provide absolutely no value
> whatsoever.

I suppose "superfluous" is in the eye of the beholder. I find the C-x
# message a useful reminder (because I really rarely use emacsclient
without --no-wait), and it seems like a newbie-oriented message
anyway.

> ...I am fine with wontfix.

I haven't tagged it as wontfix, just stating my opinion. Someone is
bound to differ, I suppose.

> I guess a real solution to the underlying problem would be to attach a
> log-level or a category-symbol to each message, with the user being able
> to disable certain categories.  I do realise this is quiet a demand and
> there are lots of more important things to implement.

I think both messages and warnings should have a customizable way to
filter them out (with several criteria, from the very text of the
message/warning to categories, etc). For warnings that already exists
through the severity level, though it is pretty coarse.

    Juanma