Subject: bug#12682: 24.2.50; make server-execute less noisy

From: Christopher Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 20:55:33 +0100 (BST)

Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Maybe it could respect emacsclient's --quiet option?
>
> I don't think it's a good match. And Christopher likely wants to
> silence the message in all situations.
>
> The fact is that many Emacs functions show messages and we don't add
> options to disable them. In this case it is trivial to add an advice
> in his own's .emacs:
>
>  (defadvice server-execute (around silence-server-execute activate compile)
>    (with-temp-message ""
>      ad-do-it))
>
> and the messages still get logged on *Messages* in case there's
> something else going on (or the advice can be more sofisticate and
> check *Messages* to be sure than nothing untold is happening).

There are other, useful messages in server-execute.  A more
sophisticated advice is not trivial any more.  server-execute is an
internal, undocumented function.  The message may be subject to change,
the form might be refactored to another function in future versions.  I
would like to have a permanent solution.

There are many superfluous messages floating around, making my
*Messages*-buffer a pain to look at and my minibuffer a constant source
of distraction.  I will not create feature requests for all these
messages.  Right now, to me, it is just about this one and the one I
reported in bug 12370 because IMO these two provide absolutely no value
whatsoever.  I am fine with "Mark set", "Starting new Ispell process",
"Quit", etc. - but Emacs telling me the keys of its most fundamental
commands - all the time, all over again!?  I do not like that.

Having that said...

> This is a wontfix IMO.

...I am fine with wontfix.

I guess a real solution to the underlying problem would be to attach a
log-level or a category-symbol to each message, with the user being able
to disable certain categories.  I do realise this is quiet a demand and
there are lots of more important things to implement.

        Christopher