Subject: Re: bug#12680: 24.2.50; about-emacs messages (startup-echo-area-message)

From: Christopher Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 20:30:55 +0100 (BST)

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:
> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
>
>> If (use-fancy-splash-screens-p) is non-nil, about-emacs (C-h C-a), in
>> particular fancy-about-screen, messages (startup-echo-area-message).
>> This is confusing, especially when Emacs is started as a daemon.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand.
> Why is it confusing when Emacs was not started as a daemon?

Pressing C-h C-a will make Emacs message "For information about GNU
Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.".  This message is superfluous
because that very information is already displayed and the user most
likely just did press C-h C-a.

> Why is it confusing if Emacs _was_ started in that way?

In this case Emacs messages "Starting Emacs daemon."  This message has
nothing to do with about-emacs.

        Christopher