Subject: bug#12673: 24.2; makefile-mode whitespace-cleanup

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 18:04:50 +0100

Arthur Azevedo de Amorim <[email-masked]> writes:

> Suppose that I have the following in .emacs:
>
> (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)
> (add-hook 'after-save-hook 'whitespace-cleanup)

[...]

> I think I know where the problem is. whitespace.el has the following line
>
> (defvar whitespace-indent-tabs-mode indent-tabs-mode)
>
> When whitespace-cleanup is called for the first time on the text file,
> the value of indent-tabs-mode is nil, because that is the default
> value and text mode doesn't override it. When the Makefile is visited,
> whitespace-indent-tabs-mode has already been defined, and so will
> still be nil.

(This bug report unfortunately got no response at the time.)

whitespace-indent-tabs-mode was removed at some point after this bug
report, so I'm going to go ahead and guess that this bug has been fixed
over the years, and I'm closing this bug report.  If this is still an
issue, please respond to the debbugs address and we'll reopen.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no