Subject: bug#12669: 24.2.50; invalid function when starting erc

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 15:27:57 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> Indeed, 110553 uncovered this problem.  Should be fixed now, thank you.

That's not enough, you have the same problem with
erc-with-all-buffers-of-server.  Basically what the autoload of erc-log
used to achieve was to load erc early enough so that the remaining macro
uses are known to the byte compiler (and that autoload is useless now
that erc-log isn't a macro any more).  Unfortunately there is a circular
dependency between erc and erc-backend, so we cannot just require erc
early.  When I try (eval-when-compile (provide 'erc-backend) (require
'erc)) I get a lot of "might not be defined at runtime" warnings, but
all macros are expanded (including the erc-log defsubst).  Not sure
what's the lesser poison.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."