Subject: bug#12666: closed (Re: bug#12666: dired sort by date in ange-ftp dired buffers)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 03:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#12666: dired sort by date in ange-ftp dired buffers

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12666: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12666
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#12666: dired sort by date in ange-ftp dired buffers
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 23:51:30 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.3

Installed some kind of fix.

Subject: dired sort by date in ange-ftp dired buffers
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Alexander Klimov <[email-masked]>, Stephen Eglen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 16:03:46 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

(I'm forwarding this to bug-gnu-emacs from an email sent to emacs-devel
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-10/msg00579.html>.
As near as I can make out the problem was introduced in trunk bzr
104541, so I'll CC: this to Alexander.

2011-06-09  Alexander Klimov  <[email-masked]>  (tiny change)

	* mail/sendmail.el (mail-recover-1, mail-recover):
	* files.el (recover-file, recover-session):
	Handle dired-listing-switches not being just a single short option.

--Paul)

From: Stephen Eglen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 09:08:06 +0100

A colleague just reported this problem with Emacs 24 (and says it wasn't
there in Emacs 23.x).  I confirmed it is a problem not just for the ftp
site he was accessing but also gnu.org.  e.g.

emacs -Q /[email-masked]:/gnu

This brings up a dired buffer with the /gnu directory.  If I now hit 's'
to order by date, I then see an empty 'gnu' buffer, and the ftp buffer
*ftp ftp.gnu.org* is raised, showing:

ftp> cd /gnu/
250 Directory successfully changed.
ls -al -t /var/folders/ix/ixcktwmzGyyc6z4C5D4ypU+++TI/-Tmp-/ange-ftp39289ME2
ftp> usage: ls [remote-path [local-file]]
ftp> ls -al -t /var/folders/ix/ixcktwmzGyyc6z4C5D4ypU+++TI/-Tmp-/ange-ftp39289ME2
usage: ls [remote-path [local-file]]
ftp> 

Were the flags changed recently to do 'ls -al -t' rather than 'ls -alt'?
If I stay in the *ftp* buffer, 'ls -alt' works fine, but 'ls -al -t'
creates a file called '-t' in my local directory.

Stephen