Subject: 24.2; Cannot discover automatic-all or other multi-buffer replacement commands

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:40:46 +0100

While investigating a problem, I happened to notice a ChangeLog entry
referring to multi-query-replace-map, which led me to the automatic-all
function, which happens to be something I had regularly felt the lack
of.

I was able to find a reference to it in the NEWS for Emacs 23.1, but
that again was at the Lisp level; nowhere can I find user documentation
for this handy feature. In particular, C-h m does not mention the extra
multi-query-replace-map keystrokes when one is running, for example,
tags-query-replace.

I bet I'm not the only user who would love this feature but has never
come across it; ideally it would also be documented in the manual, but
making its documentation appear when describe-mode is run would at least
make it discoverable.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-10-07 on americium, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
 -Wl,-z,relro' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
_ b u f f e r <return> C-h m C-n C-n C-SPC C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n M-w C-x b C-g q C-h m C-x 
b <return> C-] C-] C-] C-] C-] C-_ C-g C-_ M-x <up> 
<return> <return> Y M-x <up> <return> e o l p <return> 
e n d _ o f _ l i n e <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-3> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <help-echo> y C-_ M-x <up> <return> <return> 
Y C-x s ! C-a C-h f q u e r y - r e p l a c e <return> 
C-n C-f C-f C-f <return> C-x 1 <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
C-s m o d e C-x C-f ~ / . e m a c s . d / <tab> c u 
<tab> <return> C-s q u e r y C-s C-s C-a C-s m o d 
l e <backspace> <backspace> e l i n e C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-a C-x k <return> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
M-x r e p o r t b <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> e m a c s - r e p o r t - <M-backspace> 
<M-backspace> r e p o r t - b <backspace> e m a c s 
- b u g <return>

Recent messages:
Wrote /home/rrt/Software/zile-zee/src/move.lua
Saving file /home/rrt/Software/zile-zee/src/line.lua...
Wrote /home/rrt/Software/zile-zee/src/line.lua
Saving file /home/rrt/Software/zile-zee/src/editfns.lua...
Wrote /home/rrt/Software/zile-zee/src/editfns.lua
Saving file /home/rrt/Software/zile-zee/src/buffer.lua...
Wrote /home/rrt/Software/zile-zee/src/buffer.lua
Type "q" to restore previous buffer.
Mark saved where search started [3 times]
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
/home/rrt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/browse-kill-ring hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/browse-kill-ring
/home/rrt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/dict hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/dict
/home/rrt/.emacs.d/elpa/dictionary-1.8.7/dictionary-init hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionary-el/dictionary-init
/home/rrt/.emacs.d/elpa/dictionary-1.8.7/dictionary hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionary-el/dictionary
/home/rrt/.emacs.d/elpa/dictionary-1.8.7/link hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionary-el/link
/home/rrt/.emacs.d/elpa/dictionary-1.8.7/connection hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionary-el/connection
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/golang-mode/go-mode-load hides /usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp/golang-mode/go-mode-load
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/golang-mode/go-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp/golang-mode/go-mode
/usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp/cdargs hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cdargs
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/textmodes/flyspell

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug time-stamp misearch
multi-isearch find-func pp message sendmail format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
latexenc markdown-mode thingatpt cperl-mode m4-mode diff-git diff-mode
tex-info texinfo preview prv-emacs reporter tex-buf noutline outline
font-latex latex tex-style tex autoconf autoconf-mode sh-script
executable inform-mode vc-hg cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs help-mode view etags
make-mode info jka-compr flymake compile vc-git face-remap flyspell
smart-quotes lua-mode comint ansi-color ring auto-dictionary-autoloads
c-eldoc-autoloads dictionary-autoloads diff-git-autoloads
dired-isearch-autoloads full-ack-autoloads guess-style-autoloads
kill-ring-search-autoloads magit-autoloads mv-shell-autoloads
tumble-autoloads http-post-simple-autoloads package tabulated-list
completing-help recentf tree-widget wid-edit uniquify regexp-opt paren
server savehist minibuf-eldef iswitchb icomplete autorevert desktop
cus-start cus-load ropemacs pymacs ispell user-site-loaddefs advice
advice-preload yasnippet help-fns derived edmacro kmacro easymenu assoc
cl muse-autoloads go-mode-load emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom
emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode preview-latex tex-site auto-loads
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org/