Subject: 24.2; tags-table-files doesn't seem to be updated when it should be

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:24:33 +0100

When I'm using etags, and I delete a source file, then update the tags
(with the shell command "etags LIST_OF_SOURCES", subsequent uses of
tags-query-replace complain that the file no longer exists.

The TAGS buffer is being correctly reverted, but this doesn't seem to
cause tags-table-files to be updated.

More annoyingly, tags-reset-tags-tables doesn't either, so even if I run
tags-reset-tags-tables and then reload the tags, I still get an error
about the non-existent file, even though it's not mentioned in the TAGS
file. Similarly, using visit-tags-table doesn't help.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-10-07 on americium, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
 -Wl,-z,relro' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-n C-l C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> C-l <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> C-s r e v e r t <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-a M-x e m a c s - r e p o r t - b u g <M-backspace> 
<M-backspace> <M-backspace> r e p o r t - b <backspace> 
e m a c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
Quit
Mark saved where search started
Mark set
Mark saved where search started
Reverting buffer `TAGS'.
Mark saved where search started
Mark set
Mark saved where search started
Mark set
Mark saved where search started [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/home/rrt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/browse-kill-ring hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/browse-kill-ring
/home/rrt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/dict hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/dict
/home/rrt/.emacs.d/elpa/dictionary-1.8.7/dictionary-init hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionary-el/dictionary-init
/home/rrt/.emacs.d/elpa/dictionary-1.8.7/dictionary hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionary-el/dictionary
/home/rrt/.emacs.d/elpa/dictionary-1.8.7/link hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionary-el/link
/home/rrt/.emacs.d/elpa/dictionary-1.8.7/connection hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionary-el/connection
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/golang-mode/go-mode-load hides /usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp/golang-mode/go-mode-load
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/golang-mode/go-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp/golang-mode/go-mode
/usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp/cdargs hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cdargs
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/textmodes/flyspell

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils debug pp find-func
tramp-cmds tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache format-spec tramp-loaddefs todoo whitespace
texmathp tabify man rect remember log-edit vc-annotate add-log log-view
pcvs-util novice find-dired help-mode view newcomment vc ediff-merg
ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult ediff-init ediff
vc-dispatcher misearch multi-isearch dired time-stamp latexenc
markdown-mode thingatpt cperl-mode m4-mode diff-git diff-mode tex-info
texinfo preview prv-emacs reporter tex-buf noutline outline font-latex
latex tex-style tex autoconf autoconf-mode sh-script executable
jka-compr info inform-mode shell pcomplete grep etags make-mode vc-hg
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs flymake compile vc-git face-remap flyspell smart-quotes
lua-mode comint ansi-color ring auto-dictionary-autoloads
c-eldoc-autoloads dictionary-autoloads diff-git-autoloads
dired-isearch-autoloads full-ack-autoloads guess-style-autoloads
kill-ring-search-autoloads magit-autoloads mv-shell-autoloads
tumble-autoloads http-post-simple-autoloads package tabulated-list
completing-help recentf tree-widget wid-edit uniquify regexp-opt paren
server savehist minibuf-eldef iswitchb icomplete autorevert desktop
cus-start cus-load ropemacs pymacs ispell user-site-loaddefs advice
advice-preload yasnippet help-fns derived edmacro kmacro easymenu assoc
cl muse-autoloads go-mode-load emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom
emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode preview-latex tex-site auto-loads
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org/