Subject: bug#12647: 24.2.50; emacs --daemon broken in tty

From: Toby Cubitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 17:44:58 +0200

"emacsclient -c" throws an error if "emacs --daemon" is started outside
of X windows, . This is on a recent bzr checkout (from today).

Steps to reproduce:

1. switch to a linux virtual tty

2. emacs -Q --daemon

3. switch to X windows

4. emacsclient -c aborts with the following error:

   Waiting for Emacs...
   *ERROR*: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

(This bug breaks the Gentoo emacs daemon init scripts.)

Note that "emacsclient -nw" does still open tty frames successfully on a
daemon started from a tty. And running "emacs --daemon" from within X
windows allows emacsclient to create both types of frame successfully.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.4)
 of 2012-10-14 on c3po
Bzr revision: [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11202000
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var/lib'
 '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--program-suffix=-emacs-24-vcs'
 '--program-transform-name=s/emacs-[0-9].*/emacs-24-vcs/'
 '--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24-vcs'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.4/../../../../lib'
 '--with-gameuser=games' '--without-compress-info' '--without-hesiod'
 '--without-kerberos' '--without-kerberos5' '--with-gpm' '--with-dbus'
 '--without-gnutls' '--without-xml2' '--without-selinux'
 '--without-wide-int' '--without-sound' '--with-x' '--without-ns'
 '--without-gconf' '--without-gsettings' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 '--without-gif' '--without-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg'
 '--without-tiff' '--with-xpm' '--without-imagemagick' '--with-xft'
 '--without-libotf' '--without-m17n-flt' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3'
 'GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-vcs-24.2.9999' 'EBZR_BRANCH=trunk'
 'EBZR_REVNO=110543' '--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu'
 'build_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu'
 'CFLAGS=-march=prescott -O2 -pipe -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1
 -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.utf-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

-- 
Dr T. S. Cubitt
Mathematics and Quantum Information group
Department of Mathematics
Complutense University
Madrid, Spain

email: [email-masked]
web:   www.dr-qubit.org