Subject: RE: bug#12638: 24.2.50; FR: Some suggestions for icomplete-mode

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 08:15:10 -0800

> > (and most-is-exact
> >       (substring icomplete-separator
> >                  (string-match "[^ ]" icomplete-separator)))
> >
> > The default value of the option is (string ?\u2605 ?\  ), 
> > i.e., a star.  See attached.  (The number 5 shown is the total
> > number of completions.  In this particular case all are shown.)
> 
> Just curious: Why isn't the exact match (represented by the 
> star) separated from the other matches with a vertical bar?

If you are asking me about my code and not the vanilla version, the answer is:
(a) I didn't think it would be clearer (but yes, someone could interpret it as
belonging only to the first alternative), (b) a user can easily include the bar
in the option value (string), and (c) the bar is not hard-coded, but is from the
other separator used between the other alternatives.

If you want an initial bar, you can add it easily.  If you want no bars at all,
you can easily have that.  If you want `spaghetti' for the first separator and
`lasagne' for the others, you can easily have that.

But I'm open to other suggestions.  I'm not in favor (for my code) of
hard-coding a connection between the two separators.