Subject: Re: bug#12638: 24.2.50; FR: Some suggestions for icomplete-mode

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 02:28:42 +0530

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> - Let "" be anywhere in the {...} list rather than only at the beginning.
>>> This would seem inconvenient if it's not compensated by some other
>>> "Complete, but not unique" marker.  Your ^M is one such option.
>>> We could also keep an empty () (or []), which is fairly logical and
>>> might be vaguely intuitive.
>> My vote goes for option 1.
>
> This one has several sub-options.  Which representation for "Complete,
> but not unique" do you favor then (taking into account that I don't
> think ^M is going to fly)?

I will just settle for whatever is chosen by you - empty space within
braces is good.

How about subtly fontifying the minibuffer contents itself. I mean the
whole `field-string', the string that is typed by the user which is
/not/ the display overlay.

We can also have:
    1. an empty space with some background fontification
    2. a non-breaking space 

Both (1) and (2) without surrouding `()'.

As a side note:

Drew suggested unicode '*'.  

I went with a control character because:
    1. It suggests what my fingers should do 
    2. Control characters are less like to occur in completions.

ps: Is ^M as a literal two character text more palatable than ^M as an
    escape glyph.