Subject: 24.2.50; url-retrieve does not work as expected via local proxy server

From: Christoph Scholtes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 10:08:28 -0600

I use the privoxy proxy on Ubuntu 12.04. For testing, Ubuntu is proxy
settings are globally configured for https on 127.0.0.1 port
8118 only. The http_proxy env variable reflects this correctly. privoxy is
started and running. I confirmed that I go through the proxy with a
browser pointed to a https website.

emacs -Q

Evaluate the following in scratch:
(require 'url)
(pop-to-buffer (url-retrieve-syhronously 
"https://raw.github.com/dimitri/el-get/master/el-get-install.el"))

Minibuffer says "Contacting host: 127.0.0.1:8118". After about a minute
or so a buffer named *http 127.0.0.1:8118*-10921 [no process] pops up
that contains the following:

HTTP/1.1 200 Connection established
Proxy-Agent: Privoxy/3.0.19

Then nothing happens. I was expecting see to the content of the page.
If I use url-retrieve with a http url it works and displays the content
retrieved from the url in the buffer.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.4 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
of 2012-10-13 on marvin
Bzr revision: 110535 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
System Description: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
`configure 'CC=clang''