Subject: Re: bug#12635: A usability issue with the save dialog box

From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 21:27:28 +0800

Alex Hanif <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am a usability designer based in Stockholm and I would like to
> suggest a few improvements to the Emacs save dialog. I have motivated
> my suggestion and put up an image of the suggested solution on my
> blog:
> http://user.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/emacs-has-a-confusing-save-dialogue-
> box/ 
> Please let me know if I can help improve Emacs.

You have some good ideas, but they seem to be based on a misconception
that each dialog in Emacs is individually designed.  That may be the
case with other applications, but is not with Emacs.  Currently Emacs
dialogs are quite limited in their capabilities, so the best approach is
probably to split this task into two:

1. Improve the options availble in the current dialog.
2. Improve Emacs's dialog capabilities (a much bigger task, especially
if backwards compatibility is to be kept).