Subject: bug#12635: A usability issue with the save dialog box

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 14:35:32 +0200

> From: Alex Hanif <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 10:02:08 +0200
> 
> I am a usability designer based in Stockholm and I would like to suggest a
> few improvements to the Emacs save dialog. I have motivated my suggestion
> and put up an image of the suggested solution on my blog:
> http://user.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/emacs-has-a-confusing-save-dialogue-box/
> 
> Please let me know if I can help improve Emacs.

Thanks, but IMO your suggested dialog goes too far in the other
direction: it removes useful options.

It is possible that the options to view the file's buffer and to
review the changes should be renamed, e.g.  "Do not save and show the
changes" or some such, or maybe the layout should be changed.  But
removing the options because "users can only cope with 2 at most" is
not the best idea.

Likewise with "Save This But No More" and "No To All" and "Save All
Buffers" (which perhaps should be relabeled "Yes To All").  These are
useful when saving several files, and should appear then.

Can you suggest a better design that leaves the options available?

TIA