Subject: Win32 (Ver:24.2); Crashes when files from shared folders are accessed

From: Arvind Devarajan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 09:02:54 +0530

{Precondition}
PC-Local: The PC in which emacs is running.
PC-Remote: The PC in which a file is created in a folder, that is shared.
PC-Local has a shortcut/mapping to the shared folder in PC-Remote. It
can hence access the file in PC-Remote via this shortcut/mapped drive.
 
{Action}
Start Emacs in PC-Local, and open the file in PC-Remote (either by C-x f
or just drag-and-drop)
 
{Observation}
Emacs crashes.
 
{Expected}
No such crash, and the file is editable/readable depending on the
permissions on the file.
 
{Emacs details}
In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
of 2012-08-29 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
`configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'
 
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t
 
Major mode: Org
 
Minor modes in effect:
  auto-insert-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
 
Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - <tab> <return>
 
Recent messages:
`epa-file' already enabled
Loading d:/vbox/shared/.emacs.d/custom.el (source)...
Loading delsel...done
Loading paren...done
Loading d:/vbox/shared/.emacs.d/custom.el (source)...done
Loading d:/vbox/shared/.emacs.d/extensions/org-outlook.el (source)...done
Loading d:/vbox/shared/.emacs.d/init.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
OVERVIEW
CONTENTS...done
 
Load-path shadows:
None found.
 
Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc
org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks find-func
org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-outlook org-protocol org byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile
cconv macroexp advice help-fns advice-preload ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval
org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list org-faces
org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline outline easy-mmode format-spec
regexp-opt cal-menu easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs autoinsert
org-install server paren delsel cus-start cus-load aes epa-file epa
derived epg epg-config cl time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process multi-tty emacs)