Subject: bug#12621: Win32 (Ver:24.2); Crashes when files from shared folders are accessed

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:32:43 +0200

> From: Arvind Devarajan <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:09:42 +0530
> CC: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> 
> 1) Problem does not occur in the development snapshot

That's good news, thanks.

> 2) I anyway collected the backtrace via MinGW gdb. I can just take the development snapshot, but I think it might be interesting for you to know the reason:

This explains quite a lot.  I still don't fully understand why the
system call crashed so deeply inside the RPC DLL, but maybe now it's
not as important to understand that, because the next Emacs release
will probably work OK, since it's based on the code in the development
snapshot.

One thing to try in v24.2 is set w32-get-true-file-attributes to a nil
value before opening the file.  This should bypass the call to
LookupAccountSid, the API whose call crashed.

For the record, what do you see if you type "C-x d" to invoke Dired on
the directory whose files crash Emacs 24.2?  I'm mainly interested in
the owner and the group shown by Dired for those files.  Please try
this in both versions of Emacs (v24.2 is likely to crash, but I hope
the development snapshot will not; if it does, please try to produce a
backtrace form it).

Thanks.