Subject: Re: bug#12621: Emacs 24.1 crashing on Windows 7

From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:35:54 +0100

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

> A connotation is a meaning commonly associated with a
> word, other than its surface meaning (the "denotation").
> This is different from a personal association,
> which exists in the mind of one person but perhaps
> no one else.

I don't think this is that simple.

If you want to learn about linguistics (and the specific problem of
connotation/denotation), I suggest this good read: "Languages of Art",
by Nelson Goodman.

Fighting for a cause requires some "pragmatic dogmatism", but if it is
not balanced by intellectual openness, then intellectual dogmatism can
impair the whole cause.

I doubt it is worth trying to ground the choice of "w32" over "win32"
on some flawed linguistic theory; "pragmatic dogmatism" can do its job
well enough here.

-- 
 Bastien