Subject: bug#12621: Emacs 24.1 crashing on Windows 7

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 14:26:11 -0800

> >> Thanks for reporting the bug,

Should have stopped there, full stop.  Thank you, Andy.

> >> but please don't refer to Windows as a "win".
>
> > This kind if puerile comment is decidedly unhelpful.
> 
> It's very far from puerile, it is on the contrary based on an
> understanding of the power of choosing your words.

Power of choosing your words, indeed.  Please do not assume that you understand
this better than Andy or anyone else, just because you religiously ban "win32"
from your vocabulary.

Mouthing "win32" is hardly "referring to [MS] Windows as a win."  If Andy had in
fact referred to MS Windows as "a win" then you might have an argument.  He did
not, and you do not.

This "win32" thing is now nothing more than counting angels on pinheads.  It
makes as much sense as claiming that using the character `w' in an abbreviation
is tantamount to pledging allegiance to Bill Gates.  Or the devil.  Burn the
witch!  Burn the `w' books!

Words chosen well have power.  Chosen unwisely they can backfire.  Choose
wisely.

That, I think, was precisely Andy's point.  It's mine, at least.  The anti-"win"
crusade is not effective, almost by design.  And you should not, by now at
least, be surprised at that.

Choose wisely, especially if you are offering guidelines for political action
and not just a catechism.

Just one opinion.