Subject: bug#12621: Win32 (Ver:24.2); Crashes when files from shared folders are accessed

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 19:11:55 +0200

> From: Arvind Devarajan <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 14:08:21 +0530
> 
> I just noticed that this does not happen if the files are accessed via 'mapped' drives. Happens only when UNC paths are used.

I cannot reproduce this here.  I tried on 2 different networks with 4
different machines, and couldn't reproduce the crash, both when a
shared directory is mapped to a drive letter and when using UNCs.  I
see the expected behavior: I can visit files in the shared remote
directory, and if the directory's sharing permissions allow only
read-only access, I get an error message when I try updating files in
it.

Does this happen in "emacs -Q"?  If not, please try to identify which
of your customizations could be related (i.e. if removed from .emacs,
the crashes disappear).

If the problem persists in "emacs -Q", perhaps you left out some
crucial detail of the recipe to reproduce the problem.  Please
describe the recipe in more detail, including how exactly you make a
directory shared, what permissions you define for its access, etc.

Alternatively, if you or someone else who reads this can reproduce the
problem under a debugger and send a backtrace, we could perhaps cut to
the chase much faster.  (If you want to give this a try, you will
probably need a development snapshot, because I believe the official
releases have their binaries stripped, so a debugger will give no
useful information.)

Thanks.