Subject: Re: bug#12614: 24.2; Ibus does not work properly with Ido find-file

From: Bernard Hurley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:19:10 +0100

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 02:32:14AM -0400, Glenn Morris wrote:
> 
> Thanks for the detailed report, but ibus is not part of Emacs.
> Have you tried reporting this to whoever maintains it?
> Or do you think this is actually an Ido problem? (That is part of Emacs.)

That's difficult to say without knowing what's actually causing 
the problem. It seems that ibus is returning "too early" and it
is difficult to see why this should happen if nothing is
interfering with it. When I type "m" it looks to ibus as if "m "
or "m1" or something like that has been typed. This extra 
character must be generated by Ido somehow as when ido-mode is
not active C-x C-f works just fine with ibus input. Whether one
considers this a bug or not might depend on whether this
behaviour affects other emacs packages. If it doesn't then one
might take the view that other packages should work round it.

I will get in touch with the ibus maintainers. Incidentally 
Ibus is the more or less standard way of inputting CJK characters
on Linux systems. I know several professional translators who
use it. The unicode packages make it very easy to set up fonts
exactly how you want them so I would suggest ibus really ought
to be part of Emacs.

Bernard.