Subject: Re: bug#12613: Subordinate libltdl builds convenience library when it should build shared library

From: Bob Friesenhahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 09:18:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
>> 
>> I assume you are using run-time linking on AIX?  I find almost all free 
>> software requires CFLAGS=-brtl.
>
> Yes.  The GraphicsMagick configure script is automatically adding it.

I did some more investigation and found that my above statement was 
incorrect.  The GraphicsMagick configure script is not automatically 
adding -brtl to LDFLAGS, rather, I have a wrapper script used on the 
build machine which is passing -brtl via LDFLAGS to the configure 
script.  This option is then properly used while compiling the 
GraphicsMagick objects, but LDFLAGS is being ignored while building 
libltdl.  Ignoring user-provided LDFLAGS seems unkind.

Libltdl's Makefile.inc makes no reference to LDFLAGS (ignores it) but 
it respects AM_LDFLAGS.  The GraphicsMagick Makefile.am declares a 
starting AM_LDFLAGS which is empty, and then libltdl's Makefile.inc 
fragment adds to this via += syntax.

Regarding a correctly installable libltdl, I am experimenting with 
initializing libltdl like

LTDL_INIT([nonrecursive installable])

and this seems to help in that a convencience library is not copied 
into the application library.  I am not sure what the ramifications of 
this change to users would be though.

I am thinking that I should delay the forthcoming release of my 
software and take the time to unbundle libltdl because bundling is 
clearly not helping in any way.

Bob
-- 
Bob Friesenhahn
[email-masked], http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
GraphicsMagick Maintainer,    http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/