Subject: bug#12611: Bugfix for broken hunspell choices

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 17:57:44 +0200

> Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:48:26 +0200
> From: Agustin Martin <[email-masked]>
> 
> > The only way I was able to generate choices for all wrong written
> > word is by skiping the -a parameter.
> 
> All the ispell.el communication with the spellchecker is done in pipe mode
> (-a mode). If you disable it you will completely disable normal
> communication.

Indeed.

> You are probably hit by some of the oddities in hunspell pipe mode
> regarding UTF-8 characters.

You mean "bugs".  Yes, quite probably.  The solution is to fix
Hunspell (I think I can give the OP patches, if he can build his own
Hunspell).

Failing that, the work-around would be not to use UTF-8 for
communicating with Hunspell.  This should be possible for the de_CH
locale.  I suggest to customize ispell-local-dictionary-alist, and add
to it an entry for de_CH (and any other languages you care about) that
uses a unibyte encoding, such as Latin-1 or Latin-9.  You will also
have to change the CASECHARS and NOT-CASECHARS to use the
corresponding Latin code points, see the value of
ispell-dictionary-base-alist for an example.  This should cause
Hunspell to use the unibyte encoding, which should work around the
problems with UTF-8.