Subject: bug#1261: 23.0.60; diary-insert-entry and mouse-autoselect-window

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 17:17:05 -0500

I tried to debug this some more.

As I said, it only happens with the GTK toolkit, not athena. The GTK
version seems to call handle_one_xevent many more time than the athena
version (event_handler_gdk?). I tried putting a breakpoint at line
6734 of xterm.c, but it was called so often as to be almost unusable.
When I managed to reach the point of pressing mouse-3 in the calendar
window and brought up the calendar menu, gdb was invoked, but my X
session would no longer accept mouse or keyboard events, so I could
not switch to my gdb window. :(

So then I just printed XWINDOW(last_window) to stderr.

It seems that the GTK toolkit associates a popup menu with the topmost
window in a frame, irrespective of which window the menu actually lies
in front of.

When I repeat the initial experiment with the calendar window in the
_topmost_ (it is normally in the lowest) window of the frame (this
requires making the frame and calendar window tall enough that the
mouse cursor stays inside the calendar when selecting "Insert diary
entry"), there is no problem.