Subject: Re: bug#1261: 23.0.60; diary-insert-entry and mouse-autoselect-window

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 18:25:56 +0100

> 1. emacs -Q
 >
 > 2. M-x customize-variable RET mouse-autoselect-window RET, set value to
 > Immediate and save for current session.

I'd never use "Immediate" for `mouse-autoselect-window' if I wanted to
use menus.  I wrote all that delayed autoselection stuff because people
had problems with selecting things from menus and consequently getting
some unrelated window selected.  Please try with some (short) delay.

 > 3. M-x calendar
 >
 > 4. Click mouse-3 on a date in the Calendar, and in the pop-up context
 > menu click the entry "Insert diary entry".  When doing this, make sure
 > the mouse pointer remains within the Calendar window.
 >
 > => A diary buffer opens in a new window and this is selected, but the
 > slightest movement of the mouse makes the Calendar window become the
 > selected window (provided the mouse pointer was within the Calendar
 > window at the end of step 4).

Here the mouse cursor is outside the Emacs frame so I can't reproduce
this.  I suppose you can't move the mouse "around" your Calendar window?

 > If instead diary-insert-entry is invoked
 > by typing `i d' in the Calendar or by clicking "Insert diary entry" in
 > the Diary menu in the menu bar, then the selected window does not
 > change, even if the mouse is agressively moved with the pointer in the
 > Calendar window.

I don't fully understand what you say here.  Where precisely is the
mouse cursor when you start moving it?

 > I am using a focus-follows-click policy; these
 > observations hold regardless of the value of focus-follows-mouse.

They are independent, indeed.

martin