Subject: bug#12598: 24.2; utf-8 codepoints in doc-strings and compression of .el and .elc files

From: Achim Gratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 07:36:56 +0200

Achim Gratz writes:
> Andreas Schwab writes:
>>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable defalias)
>>
>> That's because #@N counts in bytes, not characters.
>
> I know, that's why I used goto-char to locate the place in org.elc and
> then the correspoding definition in org.el.

I've just decoded what you were telling me with that one-liner.
Disregard what I wrote above, not enough coffee yet…

So, any codepoint that is more than a single byte will throw the
byte-compiler off, not just any utf-8 codepoint.  Since this has been in
Emacs likely ever since unicode strings have been introduced, I'd
suggest adding a *strong* warning in some prominent place in the
documentation about this even when it gets fixed in a newer version of
Emacs. Otherwise it's all too easy to produce libraries that have
mysterious failures depending on whatever Emacs was used to compile or
run them.

Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptation for Waldorf Blofeld V1.15B11:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada