Subject: bug#12598: 24.2; utf-8 codepoints in doc-strings and compression of .el and .elc files

From: Achim Gratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 22:05:23 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes:
>> I've just removed some utf-8 codepoints from docstrings in org-mode
>> because when I compress either the source (.el.gz) or the resulting
>> byte-compiled file (.elc.gz), the loader fails after the first function
>> definition that has such a docstring.
>
> Sounds like a bug.  Can you send a precise recipe?

The org.el currently in trunk should demonstrate it: compress the
bytecompiled file with gzip, then try to (load "org") with the load-path
set so that it finds those compressed files.  With the byte-compiled
file you'll then get this error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable defalias)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/emacs/lisp/org/org.elc.gz" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 317443
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/emacs/lisp/org/org.elc.gz" "/home/emacs/lisp/org/org.elc.gz" nil nil)
  load("org.elc")
  eval((load "org.elc"))
  eval-expression((load "org.elc") nil)
  call-interactively(eval-expression nil nil)

The corresponding line in the source is L9026 (the defun for the second
function that has unicode in the docstring).

The exact same error happens in Emacs 23.3, btw.

Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptations for Waldorf Q V3.00R3 and Q+ V3.54R2:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada