Subject: bug#1259: quit-window does not kill the window

From: "Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:36:00 +0100

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:19, Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Yes, it works as expected now.

To add more information: the difference in behavior between your
committed patch (let's call it v1) and the one you just sent (v2) is
related to defaulting to the selected window. I mean, with the
following defun

(defun my-quit-window ()
   (interactive)
   (quit-window nil (selected-window)))

and testing with

 emacs -Q
 C-h N
 M-x occur <ENTER> emacs <ENTER>
 C-x o
 M-x quit-window <ENTER>  ;; or M-x my-quit-window <ENTER>

In 22.X:

  M-x quit-window    => buries the buffer, keeps the window
  M-x my-quit-window => buries the buffer, kills the window

In 23.X, v1

  M-x quit-window    => buries the buffer, keeps the window
  M-x my-quit-window => buries the buffer, keeps the window

In 23.X, v2

  M-x quit-window    => buries the buffer, kills the window
  M-x my-quit-window => buries the buffer, kills the window

So, basically the original `quit-window' had two different behaviors,
while your patches just have one.

Personally, I'm happy with the "kills the window" behavior, so v2
works for me. But perhaps other people expects quit-window to behave
as it did in 22.X.

  Juanma