Subject: bug#12587: 24.2; Delayed startup, unresponsive Emacs in MS Windows when netlogon services is running in a domain

From: Mohammed Imaduddin Humayun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 12:05:47 +0200

When netlogon service is running in the background on Windows (Win
7 here) in a networked domain (e.g. a pc/laptop on a university domain)
starting Emacs usually fails or is miserably slow  although the 
emacs.exe process
  can be seen running in the background. Tried running with -Q, 
-no-init-file,
text mode only and several other options to no avail.

Bug might also be difficult to reproduce. However, the issue is also 
reported by other users here:
(1) http://www.hydrus.org.uk/journal/emacs-netlogon.html
(2) 
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2007329/emacs-23-1-50-1-hangs-ramdomly-for-6-8-seconds-on-windows-xp

This mostly seems to occur when emacs is used in an environment where the
network changes frequently (e.g. using laptop at work network
then  home network etc.). Can confirm that Emacs runs just fine when the 
netlogon service is stopped,
but this is more of a stopgap measure than a solution. At the very
least this needs to be classified officially as a bug and the workaround
made more visible.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
  of 2012-08-29 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
  `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: ENU
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   diff-auto-refine-mode: t
   nxhtml-menu-mode: t
   nxhtml-tag-do-also: t
   popcmp-group-alternatives: t
   popcmp-short-help-beside-alts: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   mlinks-active-links: t
   rngalt-minimal-validation-header: t
   rngalt-display-validation-header: t
   predictive-which-dict-mode: t
   global-auto-revert-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x b u g <tab> <tab> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> r
e p o <tab> r t - e m <tab> - q <tab> <return> n e
t l o g o n SPC <backspace> <return> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <down> <down> <down> <down> <return> <right>
<return> <left> <down> <down> <down> <up> <tab> C-a
<return> SPC C-x k <return> M-x r e p o <tab> r t <tab>
<return>

Recent messages:
Loading c:/Users/humayun/.emacs.d/nxhtml/autostart.el (source)...done
Finding all versions of R on your system...
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list... [2 times]
Contacting host: debbugs.gnu.org:80
Reporting new bug! [2 times]
byte-code: End of buffer [2 times]
Reporting new bug!
call-interactively: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Existing Emacs Bugs*>
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/humayun/.emacs.d/nxhtml/util/ack hides ~/.emacs.d/nav/ack
c:/Users/humayun/.emacs.d/nxhtml/util/org-odt hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/site-lisp/org/org-odt
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-xoxo hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-xoxo
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-wl hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-wl
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-w3m hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-w3m
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-vm hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-vm
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-timer hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-timer
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-taskjuggler hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-taskjuggler
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-table hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-table
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-src hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-src
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-special-blocks hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-special-blocks
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-rmail hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-rmail
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-remember hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-remember
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-publish hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-publish
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-protocol hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-protocol
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-plot hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-plot
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-pcomplete hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
c:/Users/humayun/.emacs.d/nxhtml/util/org-odt hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-odt
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-mouse hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-mouse
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-mobile hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-mobile
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-mks hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-mks
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-mhe hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-mhe
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-mew hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-mew
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-macs hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-macs
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-mac-message hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-mac-message
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-lparse hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-lparse
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-list hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-list
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-latex hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-latex
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-jsinfo hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-jsinfo
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-irc hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-irc
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-install hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-install
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-inlinetask hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-info hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-info
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-indent hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-indent
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-id hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-id
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-icalendar hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-icalendar
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-html hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-html
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-habit hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-habit
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-gnus hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-gnus
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-freemind hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-freemind
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-footnote hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-footnote
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-feed hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-feed
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-faces hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-faces
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-exp hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-exp
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-exp-blocks hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-exp-blocks
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-eshell hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-eshell
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-entities hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-entities
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-docview hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-docview
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-docbook hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-docbook
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-datetree hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-datetree
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-ctags hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-ctags
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-crypt hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-crypt
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-compat hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-compat
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-colview hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-colview
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-clock hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-clock
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-capture hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-capture
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-bibtex hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-bibtex
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-beamer hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-beamer
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-bbdb hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-bbdb
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-attach hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-attach
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-ascii hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/org-ascii
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-archive hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-archive
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/org-agenda hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/org-agenda
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-tangle hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-tangle
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-table hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-table
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-sqlite hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-sql hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-sql
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-shen hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-shen
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-sh hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-sh
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-screen hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-screen
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-scheme hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-scheme
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-sass hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-sass
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-ruby hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-ruby
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-ref hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-ref
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-R hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-R
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-python hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-python
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-plantuml hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-picolisp hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-perl hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-perl
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-org hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-org
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-octave hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-octave
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-ocaml hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-mscgen hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-maxima hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-maxima
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-matlab hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-matlab
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-lob hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-lob
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-lisp hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-lisp
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-lilypond hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-ledger hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-ledger
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-latex hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-latex
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-keys hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-keys
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-js hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-js
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-java hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-java
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-haskell hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/ob-haskell
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-gnuplot hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-fortran hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/ob-fortran
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-exp hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-exp
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-eval hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-eval
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-dot hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-dot
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-ditaa hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-css hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-css
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-comint hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-comint
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-clojure hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/ob-clojure
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-calc hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-calc
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-C hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-C
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-awk hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/org/ob-awk
c:/Emacs 24.2/site-lisp/org/ob-asymptote hides c:/Emacs 
24.2/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
~/.emacs.d/predictive/avl-tree hides c:/Emacs 24.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/avl-tree

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr network-stream starttls url-cache emacsbug
message rfc822 mml mml-sec mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
csv-mode-autoloads package tabulated-list psvn log-edit pcvs-util
add-log diff-mode elp org-install ess-eldoc ess-toolbar ess-mouse
mouseme thingatpt browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb
ess-noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l
ess-sas-a ess-arc-d ess-vst-d ess-xls-d ess-lsp-l ess-sta-d ess-sta-l
make-regexp ess-sp6w-d ess-sp4-d ess-sp3-d ess-julia ess-r-d
ess-tracebug ess-roxy ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc ess-s-l
ess ess-inf newcomment ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils ess-custom
executable ess-compat ess-site htmlize-view w32-winprint htmlize
flymake-files flymakemsg nxhtml-autostart nxhtml-autoload moz majmodpri
nxhtml-menu udev-rinari udev-ecb udev flymake css-color nxhtml-mode
html-quote tidy-xhtml ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help
ediff-util ediff-mult ediff-init ediff html-imenu imenu loadhist popcmp
xhtml-help html-toc xml fupd html-pagetoc appmenu-fold fold-dwim
tex-mode shell inlimg html-write mlinks appmenu mumamo sgml-mode
ruby-mode rngalt rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse
rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln
nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok mumamo-cmirr desktop
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs help-mode view flyspell html-upl html-site
ourcomments-util uniquify recentf tree-widget mm-url gnus gnus-ems
nnheader mail-utils org warnings ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob org-compat org-macs ob-eval
format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ido bookmark pp
apropos grep ffip gimpedit foldit noutline outline hideshow web-vcs
derived rx url-http tls url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history mailcap url-auth url-cookie url-util url-parse auth-source
assoc gnus-util password-cache url-gw url-vars mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit web-autoload nxhtml-base
easy-mmode nav dired ack compile comint regexp-opt ansi-color ring
predictive-html auto-overlay-flat predictive-texinfo predictive-latex
predictive-auto-overlay-auto-dict auto-overlay-nested auto-overlay-self
auto-overlay-line auto-overlay-word predictive timerfunctions
auto-overlays auto-overlay-common dict-tree trie advice help-fns
advice-preload tNFA queue heap avl-tree semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp mode-local cedet
completion-ui-sources completion-ui-menu pos-tip completion-ui-tooltip
completion-ui-echo completion-ui-hotkeys completion-ui-dynamic
completion-ui-popup-frame completion-ui rw-hunspell rw-ispell ispell
rw-language-and-country-codes reftex reftex-vars easymenu tex-mik
preview-latex tex-site auto-loads edmacro kmacro autorevert
solarized-light-theme solarized-definitions cl paren delsel time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table
ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)