Subject: bug#12579: 24.1; Emacs 24.1 / 24.2 (daily) crashes

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 10:48:16 -0700

> > FWIW, I too get crashes frequently with Emacs 24 (.1, .2, 
> > and dev versions) on MS Windows.  I even get them sometimes
> > when I just click the Windows `X' box in
> > the upper right of a frame, to close it.
> 
> How frequently?

I'm sorry I can't be much help here.  I would say it crashes pretty much each
time I use it - and I don't use it for long at a time.  

Generally, I use it (and also the latest dev version) now to test software that
I develop using Emacs 23.4 (or older).  If it did not crash so much then I would
do that development using 24.2 or even the latest dev version.

The crashes I get seem to happen randomly.  I have not been able to associate
them with anything particular that I or Emacs is doing at the time.  As I
mentioned, I've even had a few crashes occur when I just clicked a frame `X' to
close the frame (an ordinary frame - nothing unusual).

> Both the OP and you, Drew, are using the binary distributions from
> alpha.gnu.org. I do not get crashes, frequent or otherwise, unless
> there's a specific problem (like the 64-bit changes the other day).

Yes.  If you are not using those binaries then perhaps that is a relevant
difference.

> Perhaps something in the build process, compiler version, compilation
> options...?  It's hard to pinpoint any connection between both
> problems without backtraces, though.

Admittedly, there is not much to go on.  Hopefully there will be more reports,
with more useful information.

One thing that seems interesting (but it doesn't necessarily mean anything) is
that there seem (for me) to be the same frequency of crashes with 24.2 and a dev
version (I don't really use 24.1 much at all, but IIRC it was the same story).
There has been a lot of development since 24.1, including in the C code, but
perhaps (?) some of the problems I'm seeing are the same since 24.1.  Dunno.